Press "Enter" to skip to content

Got Mold?

Anne Winberry

The Sculpture Building, located on the eastern part of campus past the Pratt Center, is a frequent spot for many art majors. However, according to faculty, staff and students, the conditions in the building are not quite ideal. Leaks and cracks in the ceiling have led to mold growth within the building, according to many who work, take classes and visit there.

After a large flood in the basement of the building last year, maintenance was forced to pump 2 to 3 feet of water out of the basement, according to staff.  According to a professor in the art department who preferred that her name not be used in this story, “dampness creeps into the offices,” eventually causing mold to grow. This professor has said that people are getting physically sick from the mold and experiencing respiratory issues.

The C.W. Post Campus was formally the estate of Marjorie Post, and many of the buildings on campus that are now offices were once houses or storage buildings. The Sculpture Building was one of them. The building was formally an old carriage house used to house horses, and, eventually, as time went on, cars were stored in there, turning it into a garage. When the estate was sold to Long Island University, the “garage” was converted into offices and classrooms.

Today, the Sculpture Building is home to the woodshop, machine shop, welding shop and the foundation studios. The mold problem has been a consistent issue. According to an art professor, “Buildings and grounds has tried to get rid of the mold with bleach, but it keeps coming back.” Studio B has experienced the most problems, with walls being re-spackled due to cracks and leaks in them. They were covered with plastic, which covers up the issue. However, there are still cracks in the walls that are causing a problem, especially during storms.

Heather Leonbruno, a junior, said, “There’s mold everywhere. It’s a problem but not more than anywhere else. Go into any other building; it’s the same thing.”

According to William Kirker, the Director of Facilities Services, “Sometimes historic buildings that are located in a wooded setting receive limited sun. As a result, musty odors may develop at certain times of the year. The Facilities Services team addresses issues of this nature in a timely and effective manner. We continue to work with our environmental staff to address these matters, especially as we enter a more humid time of year.”

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *